Friends & Favourites
David Booker (General Manager):
- Kristamas Klousch‘s website of self-portraiture
- The Literateur, an online literary magazine featuring interviews with luminaries of the literary world, articles, reviews and exciting new creative works. Co-edited by friend of the bookshop Dan Eltringham
Dave Mitchell (The Proprietor):
- The New Scientist Magazine
- Scientific American
- Human Genome Project
- The Search for Extrasolar Planets
- The Mars Pathfinder Mission
- The Lunar Prospector (Water on the Moon).
- Pass Maths; an intelligent and interesting practical maths magazine.
- Apple Day Events
- Consciousness Matters, Oliver Leech’s provocative if wrong-headed (!?) philosophical ideas
Kathy (Dave’s wife and Cafe Manager):
- The Down Syndrome Educational Trust online
- The Down’s Syndrome Association for helping people with Down’s Syndrome
Guy (New Books Manager):
- The Grateful Dead on the Internet – for young and old. Learn about the origins of psychedelic music (LSD, Timothy Leary, Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead), the relationship to the mystical experience and the impact of modern technology (MIDI, synthesizers and digital recording).
- Visit the Psychedelic Library, with links to other psychedelic sites – the psychedelic resource for a psychedelic planet hosts alternative email lists for your enjoyment and information. Join as many as you like, it’s free!
- The Blue Highway winds past the plantation houses of the Mississippi Delta to the south-side clubs and tenements of postwar Chicago and covers anything to do with the Blues.
- To find out more about the world’s indigenous peoples, visit NativeWeb
Friends and Customers
- Caroline Pitcher has her site at Caroline Pitcher
- Berlie Doherty: Berlie has her own site at Berlie Doherty
- Arnie Sachneusen:More than you needed to know about Terry Pratchett and The Tolkien Society and Lord of the Rings.The definitive Site. Here is a good click for the basic gen on Ian Fleming, for fans of 007.
- Cath Watkins: Apart from helping create this site Cath’s life has a large music component – she plays a mean fiddle! So her own site has many music related links; Cath’s Meltingpot
- Bluebell Nursery is a brilliant independent horticultural nursery and arboretum in South Derbyshire. Go and be infected with their knowledge and enthusiasm! Bluebell Nursery
- Mike Samworth: This site Microscopy-uk is described by Mike as ‘On-line Microscopy for Amateurs, Professionals and big kids alike.’
- Peter Ellison: One of the best big company sites; Rolls Royce
- Cylch Dysgwyr Cymraeg Derby We are strongly associated with Jonathan Simcock and other members of this this well-established band. Whatever you’re level of competence try contacting Derby Welsh Learners Circle
- L. J. Hurst: Les runs a polymath’s website and hosts Scarthin’s Cafe Philosophique page; he is interested in crime, films, reading, writing, SF, Alternate history and computing, all of which he writes about with clarity and humour. His links page is rather good!
- John Palmer: A rather wonderful site concerned with the genealogy and history of Wirksworth; the first website we have seen with a “Doxey Corner”.
- Philip and Rosalind Lund run Lund Theological Books (Postal Only) and say the following in their catalogue:
scarthin Books was the cherry on the cake, the almost perfect bookshop. They sell new and 2nd hand books, the stock is extensive, the prices are reasonable, and there is a coffee shop on the first floor. What more could one want? Well stronger coffee actually….
We BLUSH with pride and recommend their ‘Philosophy & Theology‘ catalogue unreservedly. (We are working on the coffee!)
- Jonathan Simcock did one of the best talks at our Cafe Philosophique we have heard on his own view of Anarchy - his site has some very interesting links. Anarchism is the ideal of a society without coercion, a society where membership in all organisations is voluntary. So do not feel that you have to look at this link (Though we would be very pleased if you do!)
- Anne Smith sells some excellent Yorkshire Cheeses and is worth a look if you are a fan of ‘real’ cheese.
- Veronique Gerard runs La Viste Horse Riding in Haute Provence – Paradise on Earth for any seriously horsey person!
- Jacob Butler; master joiner and craftsman of the old school has an excellent site on his great interest ( the history and design of sash windows) at www.owdman.co.uk
- Andy Frost does the most amazing wood sculptures. His work can be viewed here
- Duffield Derbyshire - Website for the community and businesses of Duffield, just down the road.
- Drystone Walks organise self-guided walking holidays, exploring a variety of routes on or off the beaten track in Derbyshire, the Peak District and Staffordshire Moorlands, including arranging comfortable accommodation, transport of luggage (!) and providing a walk pack with directions, maps and background notes to make the walks an enjoyable and rewarding experience