Florence Nightingale’s family seat, Lea Hurst, just two miles down the Derwent valley then up a lot, is now a superior residential home. Below in the valley of the Lea Brook is the family lead smelting site, which a Canadian librarian once suggested to me was responsible for F.N.’s (that is how she often signed herself, in pencil) fifty years as an invalid. Certainly it was a poisonous place, not a blade of grass grows on the site to this day.
After she became a popular heroine, at least one local expression of admiration was published, ‘a loyal address’ with photographs of her and of the house.
She was involved in the extension of the 19th century Derby Infirmary, and many Derbyshire babies, including my own, started life in a Nightingale Ward or Wing. Memorabilia turn up occasionally.
The ancient Lea Wood, part of the Nightingale Estate, is to be sold to the Woodlands Trust; through Lea Wood, 100 years ago, walked the future writer Alison Uttley on her way to school – another tall, elegant and formidable Derbyshire woman!
Florence Nightingale: an odd selection
- Florence Nightingale. (Smith, Cecil Woodham-) 22cm.616. 5ill. 4r.e. Paperback. Constable: Apr 96. 12.95 (at 03/97) 0 09 475810 7 (Whitaker UK)
- Florence Nightingale. Penguin 60s S. (Strachey, Lytton) 14cm.96. Paperback. Penguin: Mar 96. 0.60 (at 05/97) 0 14 600211 3 (Whitaker UK)
- As Miss Nightingale Said. (Nightingale, Florence & Baly, Monica E. (Ed.)) 23cm.200. Ill. 2r.e. Paperback. Bailliere: Apr 97. 19.95 (at 05/97) 0 7020 2292 6 (Whitaker UK)
- Florence Nightingale: Nurse to Soldiers. Preteen Biography S. (Dengler, Sandy) 22cm. Paperback. Moody P: Jul 95. 3.75 0 8024 2627 1 (Whitaker UK)
- Suggestions for Thought: Selections and Commentaries. Studies in Health, Illness & Caregiving. (Nightingale, Florence & Calabria, Michael D. (Ed.) etc.) 23cm.218. Paperback. Univ. Pennsylvania P: Mar 94. 15.95 (at 06/94) 0 8122 1501 X (Whitaker UK)
- Cassandra. (Nightingale, Florence & Poovey, Mary (Ed.)) 22cm.250. n.e. Paperback. New York UP: Apr 93. 17.25 (at 05/97) 0 8147 5775 8 (Whitaker UK)
- Florence Nightingale. (Keen, Norman) D8.38. 14ill. Paperback. JH Hall: Jun 83. 2.95 (at 12/96) 0 946404 05 4 (Whitaker UK)
- As Miss Nightingale Said. (Nightingale, Florence & Baly, Monica E. (Ed.)) 30cm.xvi,136. Ill. Paperback. Scutari P: Dec 91. 8.99 (at 02/96) 1 871364 56 6 (o.p.) (Whitaker UK)
- Notes on Nursing: What it is and What it is Not. (Nightingale, Florence & Skretkowicz, Victor (Ed.)) 23cm.xlii,212. n.e. Paperback. Scutari P: Jul 92. 16.95 (at 04/97) 1 871364 63 9 (Whitaker UK)
- God Bless You, My Dear Miss Nightingale: Letters to Florence Nightingale, 1867-70. Stockholm Studs. in English. (Rappe, Emmy Carolina & Johansson, Bertil (Ed.)) 1M8.60. Ill. Paperback. Almqvist: May 77. 4.50 91 22 00097 6 (Whitaker UK)